You deserve to be the best version of yourself but often the first step towards recovery is the hardest to take, asking for help and letting someone know you are not ok. We suggest you contact any of the organisations below: Voices Of Hope cannot accept responsibility for any of the services provided by these or any other organisations but they are well regarded in New Zealand. Please remember you are never alone and there will always be someone who is willing to listen.
New zealand helplines
- Need to talk? 1737 Free call or text 24/7
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 - Provides 24-hour telephone counselling
- Samaritans: 0800 726 666 - Provides 24-hour telephone counselling.
- Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (noon to midnight)
- Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (4pm - 6pm weekdays)
- The Low Down: Free text 5626 or email email@example.com.
- SPARX: Online e-therapy tool.
- Depression.org.nz: or 0800111757
- Depression Helpline- 0800 111 757 or free text 4202
- Youthline: 0800 376 633 or free text 234 - Provides 24-hour telephone and text counselling services for young people
- Tautoko: 0508 828 865 - provides support, information and resources to people at risk of suicide, and their family, whanau and friends.
- Healthline – 0800611116
IF YOU'RE FEELING OVERWHELMED
- Remind yourself of what you are fighting for.
- Have a list of people in your phone that you can contact immediately.
- Write a letter to your future FREE self.
- Have a list of distractions. Use this list when things seem too much.
- Go outside and get some fresh air.
- Plant your feet on the ground and imagine that roots are holding you down. Focus on that feeling.
- Cold Flannel on your forehead.
- Stress ball or fidget spinner. (Something to keep your self busy)
- Imagine you’re on the beach or in a peaceful place. Talk yourself through that scenario.
- Remind yourself that anxiety passes. Sitting with it and not giving in to the anxiety will mean that you start to take control.
- 5 things task… say out loud 5 things you see, hear, and feel.
- Have a shower or bath.
- Something positive to focus on. A vision board, scrapbooking etc.
- Routine gives security.
In an emergency or if you feel you or someone you know is at risk,
PLEASE CALL 111